Thursday, February 2, 2012

170,000

170,000 women. That is how many women received mammograms through $700,000 in grants provided by the Susan G. Komen foundation to Planned Parenthood over the past five years. Planned Parenthood is an organization that provides abortions, birth control, and other health services to women. The Susan G. Komen foundation is an organization dedicated to breast cancer research and programs.

Now, here’s something I never understand: why does my vagina doctor check my boobs? Is it just because, as long as I’m really uncomfortable, I might as well get felt up while I’m at it? I am sure that it is a real treat for my vagina doctor, because my boobs are awesome. My vagina is just so-so. But in any event, it seems like these things are tied together, so it makes sense to me that Planned Parenthood would be a great place to offer needed mammography services, because it would capture a group of people who might otherwise not get screened for breast cancer. After all, if they are going to Planned Parenthood for their vagina doctoring, then they probably don’t have a vagina doctor of their own to give them a referral for a mammogram. Or perhaps they don’t have the funds to pay for one on their own.

Anyway, I just don’t understand why the Komen foundation would want to miss the opportunity to prevent breast cancer in 170,000 women, simply because they have a fundamental disagreement with abortion. Listen, I have a fundamental disagreement with the death penalty, but that doesn’t mean that I would support letting 170,000 prisoners go without needed medical treatment. Just because I hate the death penalty doesn’t mean I hate prisoners, so why should I punish them for my disagreement with something that prisons might do? It just doesn’t make sense.

Here is a simple fact: in 2010, Planned Parenthood provided 329,445 abortions, 3% of the overall services that it provides. On the other hand, Planned Parenthood provided 1,596,741 cancer screening and prevention services, including breast exams, pap tests, and colposcopy procedures to detect cervical cancer. This represented 14.5% of the total services it provides. In other words, Planned Parenthood was far more dedicated to the preservation of life than forfeiting it. As a woman, even a woman who is not at all a fan of abortion, I support Planned Parenthood’s dedication to women’s health, especially since it serves a traditionally underserved population of poor and low-income women who simply do not have other resources.

In 2010 alone, Planned Parenthood provided 747,607 breast cancer screening services to women. Although the Komen Foundation only contributed a small portion of those screening services, their support of these services through Planned Parenthood demonstrated a commitment to women that is crucial and necessary. It is devastating that the Komen Foundation would rather see women die of cancer than stand up to misguided bullies who think that the only thing Planned Parenthood does is give abortions to irresponsible and immoral sinners.

Planned Parenthood was a convenient and logical way to reach 170,000 women who might not otherwise breast cancer screening services. This was a wise and thoughtful use of $700,000 dollars by the Komen Foundation. I certainly hope that Komen sticks with its recent renewed commitment to fund breast cancer screening services through Planned Parenthood. May you bring better health and peace of mind to 170,000 more women.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home