Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Summer Reading Review 2013

I’m not going to lie, I spent a LOT of down time this summer watching Law and Order SVU marathons on the USA network. I’m pretty sure that Benson, Stabler and I are best friends. However, when USA cruelly showed NCIS marathons, I got a little reading done. Here were my summer reads, listed in order of least favorite to most favorite. The top was very crowded; I’d recommend anything after the first two books.

Three Bodies, One Room – Charlaine Harris – This is the woman who wrote the Sookie Stackhouse novels from which the show True Blood is based. She is usually a generally entertaining writer, but once she leaves the world of vampires, she kind of sucks. This was a real snore.

Notorious Nineteen– Janet Evanovich – Remember last summer when I bitched about Explosive Eighteen? Ratchet the bitching up by ten decibels. Although, I have to say, I am the only one to blame here. I knew that this, the latest in the Stephanie Plum series of novels, would be awful. And it was. Blame the fact that I’m still hopelessly attached to Ranger.

Lean In – Cheryl Sandberg – Technically, I didn’t read this over the summer. I think I read it in May. Sandberg is the CEO of Facebook and this is her autobiography/manifesto. Autofesto. This woman is awesome, and her message happened to resonate with me: women in the workplace need to stop putting being seen as nice ahead of their own success. Damn straight.

Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer - Ever thought about climbing Mt. Everest? This true story, written in first- person by a journalist and climber who lived through an ill-fated Everest expedition is mesmerizing. You wouldn’t think that the “business” of guided mountain climbing is interesting, but it is. Bonus: Sherpas! You’ll find yourself appreciating oxygen like never before.

And The Mountains Echoed – Khaled Hosseni – This is the latest novel by the supremely talented Afghan writer Hosseni, and tells the story of multiple generations of one family, seen through the eyes of different family members. It’s the least sad of all of Hosseni’s novels, but it will still rip your heart out. Hosseni describes his homeland beautifully and with great love. For most of us, who only know Afghanistan from the Soviet occupation or the aftermath of 9/11, this is a much-needed perspective of the people and culture.

A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseni – Second novel by Hosseni, and still my favorite. Like And the Mountains Echoed, this novel spans Afghan history from a monarchy through the post-Taliban era, but through the eyes of the women, men, and children who lived through it. I never really buy it when men write about women, but Hosseni does it with deep empathy and admiration. But you will cry. Like, hyperventilate cry. It’s worth it.

The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood – I love Margaret Atwood. She’s a mad freaking genius, emphasis on the word mad. This is a novel about a novel, and is, in equal turns, murder mystery, sci-fi fantasy, and feminist critique, all wrapped in Atwood’s magical blanket of beautifully descriptive words and imagery.

Swamplandia – Karen Russell – I suggested this novel in my ill-fated book club, but the HFCM voted me down. The book club’s loss was my gain. One of the three finalists for the 2012 Pulitzer Prize in fiction, this is the story of a family who owns an alligator-themed amusement park on the decline. Russell as a writer is a both a throwback and a breath of fresh air in the crop of contemporary writers. In passages, she channels Jack Kerouac with her vibrant, energetic descriptions of things we’ve never seen, but she also creates complicated, weird, and tragically beautiful modern characters. And this is her FIRST novel. Can’t wait to see what she does next.

That’s it, people. Happy reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home