Friday, June 28, 2013

Hell Hath No Fury (aka, my terrible review of Explorer’s Club)


My friend Anna and I went out to dinner the other night. We went to a casual neighborhood place called The Explorer’s Club, known for its eclectic, global menu. Stupidly, we assumed that a global menu also meant a global sensibility, in that they didn’t expect to turn over tables like Bob Evans or Denny’s. Apparently, we were wrong.

We ordered five small plates and a bottle of wine, like a place with small plates and bottles of wine invites. While we were finishing our last small plate and had an inch of wine left in our bottle, a strange, ugly, bearded man came up to our table, and quite aggressively, told us to “order an entrée or move along.”

“Uh, we have ordered five small plates,” I informed him.

He did not care. “I have tables waiting at the bar, and you are sitting at a four top.”

Note: we had not asked for a four top, nor had we made any indication that we were a party of four. We were clearly a party of two, and there were numerous EMPTY tables in the restaurant, which had been empty for quite some time. Furthermore, and probably most importantly, we had not been offered our check. Had we been there for hours on end, a la, My Dinner with Andre? Certainly not. We’d been there for two hours, completely unaware that this behavior was outrageous.

Because we had not been offered our check, we sat there, clueless about what the hell we were supposed to do. Finally, we flagged down our server, and told her that we’d been kicked out of the restaurant, and were in need of our check.

“That guy was an asshole,” my friend and I told our server. Except that we used the more appropriate term a-hole.  We didn't want to offend the poor girl.  “Is he the manager?”

“No, he’s the owner,” our server told us, clearly embarrassed. The owner!

Anna and I would have been on our way within twenty minutes had this not happened. And, in fact, we would have been on our way with lovely memories of delicious fried plantains and empanadas. We would have recommended this shithole to all of our friends. But because this jackass could not control his own aggression, we, instead, were spoken to in a condescending way, and, spoken to as if we were lollygaggers that were intentionally insisting on staying, despite their polite entreaties to leave. In actuality, this was the furthest from the truth. To repeat, there were a number of empty tables in the restaurant, suggesting that we could linger. Second, we had been there for about two hours, not four hours. A restaurant with small plates and bottles of wine contains an implicit suggestion that guests chose and explore (huh! Explorer’s Club! Who knew!) several options. We had not been offered our check, nor had our server come by to ask if we would like anything else before this asshole came over to our table and told us to leave. To be clear, we had NO CLUE that the ENTIRE FATE OF THIS NOTHING RESTAURANT WAS RESTING ON WHETHER OR NOT WE STAYED FOR ANOTHER TWENTY MINUTES OR LEFT!

So…..Tracy Studer….PLEASE let me apologize in the clearest terms possible. I had no idea that you were following the Denny’s service model of rapid table turnover. I had no idea that, as customers, we were expected to read your mind, or worry about things that were not readily apparent. We had no idea that getting the check was OUR RESPONSIBILITY. I AM SO SORRY, Tracy Studer. I, furthermore, apologize profusely for the fact that you have never learned social skills or how to run a business. How horrible that must be for you. Most importantly, I am so sorry for the people who work for you. It must be fucking torture for them to put up with you, your hysteria, and your insistence on turning away good customers. PS, I did not take your shit out on my server. She was lovely, and entirely deserving of the 38% tip I left on my tab.

Last, and most importantly, I would like to let you know a few things: a satisfied customer tells an average of seven people of his or her good experience. An unsatisfied customer tells an average of sixteen people. Except that Anna and I are not average customers. I write a blog that has an average of 2000 views a month. Anna and I are both articulate lawyers, with a large network of friends, and no hesitation to post reviews on Yelp, Urbanspoon, and Facebook. We have friends who are vindictive motherfuckers, and who will not visit your restaurant out of spite. We live in a city with PLENTY of good eateries, and WE DON’T NEED YOU.

So Tracy Studer, and Explorer’s Club, kindly fuck off. Oh, PS, their contact information is http://www.explorersclubmv.com/contact/. Please feel free to copy and paste this blog entry directly to them. Rock on, rockers.



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Wow. If he likes his tables empty, I hope he gets his wish. ALL tables empty ALL the time. What an ass. I live in Findlay, but travel to Columbus frequently, as do many of my friends. I will spread the word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home