Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Tourism Board Welcomes You

Because I grew up in a family that liked to travel by car, I have visited all but twelve of the United States. Some I visited for a day or longer, some I just passed through, having a meal or waiting for my parents to fill up the tank. I have an impression of every state, based on my visit there, but unfortunately, I have only my guesses about what the remaining states are like. Here are my impressions, let me know if I’m right or not:

Alaska – Full of convicts on the run, bears, Palins, and natural beauty that the aforementioned Palins would like to ruin. Drill, baby, drill!

Hawaii – Tourists everywhere, bugs the size of tennis racquets. One thing I know: do NOT take the tiki idols.

Idaho – Everyone has a gun and an underground bunker.

Maine – Lots of monosyllabic creeps who are not above murder. Damn you, Stephen King!

Montana – My guess is that Montana is the Alaska of the lower 48. Not a lot of people, and don’t ask a lot of questions. Also: Montana purports to have a capital city (Helena) and a most populous city (Billings), but the only place anyone mentions is Missoula. So, I suspect that those other cities just have those old-timey western-town store fronts that have nothing behind them. Just a guess.

New Hampshire – I am pretty sure my neighbor is from New Hampshire. I just learned this about six months ago, and my immediate response was, “I didn’t know your state was real.”

North Dakota – Pregnant police officers, wood chippers, and inept criminals. Wonder where I got that impression.

Oregon – Wet.

South Dakota –Listen to these landmarks: the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, Wind Cave, Deadwood, Crazy Horse. I want to go to there.

Vermont – I don’t like syrup, so I’ve never been interested in this state. Also: I think George Washington was an ass. Everyone says he was so great for confessing to chopping down the cherry tree. Everyone overlooks the fact that that little sociopath chopped down a cherry tree for no good reason. Jerk.

Wisconsin – Mmmmmm. Cheese. Now, I have never been a fan of Brett Favre, but I am a fan of Aaron Rodgers (he’s cute!), and, of course, Laverne and Shirley. That is enough recommendation for me.

Wyoming – I am pretty sure that Jellystone Park is in Wyoming, as well as its lesser-known counterpart, Yellowstone Park. I have never heard that there is anything else in this state.

1 Comments:

At May 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Mamarosa said...

I can only speak to Hawaii, fully agree with all of your other assumptions though! Hawaii bugs are kind of laid back and don't bother you much! They also have no snakes on the islands. Well, the guide on the horseback tour through Waimea Valley said they do have snakes, but only in trousers!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home