Saturday, October 8, 2011

God bless you, Raymond Towler

Some of you know that I do a little volunteer work at the Ohio Public Defender’s Office. The public defender has something called the Wrongful Conviction Project, where inmates in Ohio’s prisons who feel that they have been convicted for something they didn’t do, fill out a questionnaire, to see if there’s anything that the nice people at the OPD can do to help them out. Often, when I’m volunteering, my son will call me with some dumb “emergency” that he wants me to fix. I am always like, “Dude. I am trying to help these people get an innocent person out of prison. Can’t you call someone else to find out if you should wear shorts or pants tomorrow?”

Anyway, above my little volunteer desk sits a framed poster that says, “The faces of Ohio’s DNA Exonerees.” It has the pictures of about ten men who were convicted of crimes, and later exonerated through DNA testing. It also has the number of years that these men spent in prison before they were proved innocent. The most striking face in the bunch is Raymond Towler, who was in prison for 29 years before DNA testing proved that another man, not he, committed the rape for which he was convicted. Raymond went to prison when he was 24 and was released when he was 54. Click here for an article that tells Raymond’s story. I am warning you: you will cry when you read it.

Twenty-nine years is longer than some of my friends have been alive. I think about all of the things that I did in 29 years, and then think about what would have become of me had I been forced to live every single day of those 29 years in the same way, wearing the same clothes, sleeping in the same bed, eating the same food, worried about my safety and my family and my sanity day after day after day after day. Twenty-nine years is longer than Kurt Cobain, Heath Ledger, James Dean, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding and Tupac lived. Twenty nine years means Christmases and birthdays and anniversaries when nobody remembers to send you a card. Twenty-nine years for anyone, guilty or innocent, is a long time, but for the innocent, it has got to feel like a Kafka nightmare.

I look up at that poster every time I sit down, and I see Raymond Towler’s face, and under that: 29 years in prison. And I wonder how many people are sitting in prison under the same circumstances, but are unable to access the kind of help and resources that Raymond Towler received. Twenty nine years, for doing absolutely nothing. In prison. Raymond Towler’s mother died while he was in prison. He attended her funeral in shackles. He was innocent.

My point here isn’t to say that every prisoner in Ohio was wrongfully convicted. But I know for a fact that those ten faces that I see on the poster were put in prison solely because they were victims of really bad luck. Bad luck doesn’t choose its victims based on how bad of a person they were, or by measuring the potential of evil in their heart. Bad luck is random and capricious and it could get any of us at any time.

So what I am asking of you is this: take a moment, close your eyes, and send your thoughts of loving kindness to those who struggle in prison. Pray, chant, mumble, visualize, meditate - whatever floats your boat – but please, just take a minute to send your very best energy into their Universe. Not every prisoner is Raymond Towler, but any prisoner could be.

3 Comments:

At October 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Have you filled out a pro bono proposal for this and are you keeping track of your hours so you can be properly recognized at commencement? Just checking. :)

 
At October 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous Carol E. Briney said...

I stumbled upon you writings and I must say thank you for your perceptions and compassion. I am the executive director of Reentry Bridge Network, Inc., a non-profit org that designs and facilitates reentry initiative programs inside and outside of prisons. I and my staff are in the trenches with the individuals who are locked up and I know many innocent men trying to find their way out of the nightmare of prison. I have known Ray Towler since 2006 and was part of his reentry team. Prison is the festering sore of our inadequate social and justice systems. We at RBN work hard 24x7 in hopes of helping with much needed changes in society, prison, and reentry. Namaste

 
At October 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Anonymous cats with knives said...

Carol, your comment is so humbling. Between the posts about manners, things that irritate me and making fun of my son, I try to occasionally speak from the heart. Thank you for the work you do.
For my readers, here is a link to the Reentry Bridge Network, Inc. site: http://www.reentrybridgenetwork.org/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home